We are deeply focused on the health and well-being of our associates, pet parents, partners, guests, and communities where we live and work. To help protect against the spread of COVID-19, we ask that everyone follow the below expectations:
- Adoption partners must coordinate with their store leader to determine:
- Where adoptions can be facilitated on PetSmart premises;
- When (the date and time of day) your organization plans to be at the store (note that some store hours have changed); and
- What physical setup your organization must provide in order to facilitate adoptions and ensure proper social distancing.
- Adoption partners, volunteers, and Associates must maintain 6-ft of social distance, adhere to local regulatory mandates, and respect cleanliness and safety standards during the event at all times.
- All adoptions must be completed in Adoptions Made Easy (AME).
- For more information about AME, read through the FAQs here.
- During adoption activities and events, adoption partner staff and volunteers are responsible for the safety of all the pets under their care.
- Partners and store leadership should work together when planning to hold parking lot events.
- All COVID-19 Protocols (e.g. social distancing, universal precautions, face covering requirements, etc.), local regulatory mandates, and pet safety standards must be followed.
Last year, two vaccines were authorized in Canada to combat rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus type 2 (RHDV2). With this vaccine authorization, adoptions of vaccinated rabbits can resume in PetSmart stores in Canada starting January 1, 2024, subject to provincial and regional laws and ordinances. More information on the two authorized vaccines in Canada can be found here: Filavac VHD K C+V and Eravac.
To participate in adoptions, the following is required:
- Rabbits must be fully vaccinated against rabbit hemorrhagic disease virus type 2 (RHDV2) by Filavac VHD K C+V or Eravac vaccine prior to arrival in a PetSmart store.
- Both vaccines are administered in one dose. Full immunization is reached between 7 and 10 days after the vaccine is administered.
- Rabbits must be quarantined during the two-week immunization period. That means they should not come in contact with unvaccinated rabbits or be handled/held by individuals that may have come in contact with unvaccinated rabbits.
- Rabbits must be monitored for a minimum of 14 days following the vaccine prior to coming into the PetSmart store. Proof of vaccination must be brought to a PetSmart store for adoption events.
- Records of vaccination must be kept with the pet at all times. These records will be given to the new pet parent upon adoption.
- Adoption partners must provide habitats for the rabbits and rabbits may not stay in the store overnight.
- A representative from the Adoption Partner group must be present to conduct the adoption in-store.
Face coverings are not required in PetSmart stores by associates, adoption partners, or pet parents, except where required by state, provincial, local, tribal, or territorials laws, rules, and regulations. Associates, adoption partners, or pet parents who prefer to wear a face covering are welcome and supported in doing so.
We ask everyone to self-evaluate whether they pose an undue risk to the health and safety of others before coming to any PetSmart location/facility by performing a health self-assessment.
Prior to coming to any PetSmart location/facility all partners must perform a health self-assessment by checking for any or a combination of the below symptoms that have been outlined by the Public Health Agency of Canada that may be related to COVID-19 (Note: this list is not all inclusive).
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Muscle or body aches
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
- Any other symptoms, including but not limited to, congestion, runny nose, fatigue, headache, gastrointestinal symptoms like nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
- Any adoption partner experiencing any or a combination of the above symptoms or feels sick, is not permitted to come to any PetSmart location/facility.
- If an adoption partner is not experiencing any or a combination of the above symptoms during the at-home health self-assessment, after arriving at the PetSmart location, they must advise a store leader that they performed their self-assessment and are not experiencing any of the outlined symptoms.
- If an adoption partner starts to experience any of the outlined symptoms or begins to feel sick while at any PetSmart location/facility, they must immediately notify a leader and go home.
- Any adoption partner who is currently being tested for COVID-19, has tested positive for COVID-19 and/or has been in close contact with someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 cannot come to any PetSmart location/facility.
- All PetSmart social distancing guidelines, face covering policy, and cleaning protocols must be followed at all times. Please review the attachment for additional information.
Government Regulatory orders that have been issued in response to COVID-19 may supersede these requirements.
For example, some stores will not be able to accommodate your organization and its pets, stores may have a limited capacity, or temperature checks on your volunteers and staff may be required. It is your responsibility to ensure that you and your staff and volunteers comply with the orders from your state and local government. Any violation of any PetSmart Charities of Canada Policies and Procedures may be grounds for suspension or termination as an adoption partner.
Additionally, all 7-Day Cat Centre adoption partners are now required to send staff and/or volunteers to care for the cats in the center no less than three times a week. If you are unable to meet this requirement, you will be asked to remove the pets as soon as possible.
We recognize that the unpredictability of the pandemic has generated its own set of challenges for the animal welfare community and for pet adoptions. Your safety, and the safety of associates, pet parents, and pets will always be our top priority. We remain committed to sharing updates about the adoption program and future National Adoption events as they become available.
We are proud of the work you are doing, and we are grateful for your partnership. Thank you for loving pets as much as we do.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to your PetSmart Charities Adoptions Grants Manager.