Purpose of category:
This grant is aimed at increasing health opportunities for chronically under-resourced pets and their people by facilitating the delivery of accessible basic veterinary care.
The need for increased access may be due to a variety of barriers, including but not limited to: language, culture, socioeconomic status, or access to transportation.
Application Process: A Letter of Intent (LOI) is the first step in the application process and must be submitted through CyberGrants for consideration. We will not accept written letters or emails expressing interest.
Types of animals served:
Any owned companion animal.
Applicants should include the following:
- Focus: Programs that have a primary focus on providing basic veterinary care
- Community: Programs that have elements of community focus and engagement
- Scalability: Programs that have scalability within the organization's community and/or nationally
- Sustainability: Programs that have other funding sources and long-term sustainability
- Data collection: Programs that are unique and innovative that have strong data collection and can build an example for other organizations
- Partnerships and collaboration: Programs that involve collaborative partnerships with other community and/or for-profit organizations
Grant Category FAQs
What types of care qualify as basic veterinary care?
- Basic wellness
- Heartworm treatment and preventative
- Flea & tick
- Basic medical procedures
What qualifies as an under-resourced pet?
Pets with owners whose culture, demographic, geographic or economic characteristics impede or prevent access to affordable veterinary services.
- The first step in applying for the Access to Care grant is to complete a Letter of Intent (LOI) application through CyberGrants, our grants management system. The link for the Letter of Intent application will be available June 24 - July 21. View the sample Letter of Intent.
- If accepted, applicants will be invited by PetSmart Charities to complete a full application in CyberGrants July 29 – August 19.
- View the sample Improving Access to Care application
This grant category is currently closed.
If you have any questions or experience difficulties in the submission process,
please contact us directly at email@example.com