A Message for our Adoption Partners:
On behalf of the entire PetSmart Charities team, we want to thank you for your continued patience and support as we navigate the situation surrounding the coronavirus pandemic.
No one could have predicted the challenges we’d face as a global community these past several months. Yet, through it all, we have been inspired and deeply moved as we’ve watched our adoption partners adapt to these challenges while helping homeless pets find homes.
On March 19, we made the difficult decision to temporarily suspend all in-store adoption events in our U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico stores out of concern for the safety and wellbeing of our adoption partners, associates, and customers. During this time, we have been working with our adoptions program team and PetSmart store team to develop a multiphase plan that will allow the in-store adoption experience to resume safely, and we’re pleased to share some of these updates with you today. Because of the rapidly changing landscape of the pandemic, our plan and guidelines below are subject to change.
Phase I – Individual Adoptions and Meet & Greets
The first phase of this plan was communicated to adoption partners on April 22 and currently allows for the following:
- Everyday Adoption Center adoptions, 7-Day Cat Center adoptions, and small pets that live at the store can be adopted (subject to any governmental order prohibiting or restricting otherwise).
- If a meet-and-greet with a pet was facilitated virtually or at another location, your representative may meet the pet parent at your PetSmart store to finalize the adoption.
- Only one of your representatives may interact with the pet parent during the in-person adoption.
- All adoptions must be completed through the store’s iPad, and the pet parent must read and sign the PetSmart Charities Adoption Agreement through the iPad. No batch entries allowed.
Phase II – Everyday Store Adoptions and Additional Requirements
Beginning June 23, 2020, adoption partners will be allowed to resume adoptions on a small-scale at PetSmart stores. These adoptions will not be eligible for adoption event grant funding; however, your organization is eligible for adoption rewards. If your organization would like to resume in-store adoptions, you must continue to follow the guidelines outlined in Phase I above and these additional requirements:
- There can be no more than 10 adoptable pets onsite at any given time. Pets in the 7-Day Cat Center and Everyday Adoption Center are exempt from this requirement. If your store is allowing two adoption partners to facilitate adoptions on the same day, each adoption partner will be limited to 5 pets.
- Adoption partners are limited to one staff member or volunteer for every 2 leashed pets (dogs) and one staff member or volunteer for all non-leashed pets. Staff and volunteers must remain with the pets the entire time. It is important that you coordinate with your store leader so that these numbers are not exceeded. Here are some illustrative examples:
- If your organization brings 10 dogs to the store, you can have up to 5 representatives onsite.
- If your organization brings 10 bunnies to the store, you can only have 1 representative onsite.
- If your organization brings 5 dogs to the store and 5 cats to the store, you can have up to 2 representatives onsite for the dogs and 1 representative onsite for the cats (a total of 3 representatives).
- Adoption partners must coordinate with their store leader to determine:
- Where adoptions can be facilitated on PetSmart premises;
- When (the date and time of day) your organization plans to be at the store (note that some store hours have changed); and
- What physical setup your organization must provide in order to facilitate adoptions and ensure proper social distancing.
- Your staff and volunteers are required to use hand sanitizer before and after handling pets, and it is strongly recommended that your staff and volunteers and potential adopters, wear a face covering while interacting with adoptable pets, potential adopters, customers, PetSmart associates, and each other. If required by your state to wear face coverings while in public, your staff and volunteers must adhere to those requirements while in a PetSmart store. Additionally, please offer hand sanitizer to potential adopters before and after their handling of each pet. The adoption partner is responsible to provide the hand sanitizer and face coverings to comply with this paragraph.
- All PetSmart social distancing guidelines and cleaning protocols must be followed at all times.
Governmental orders that have been issued in response to the coronavirus may supersede these requirements. For example, some stores will not be able to accommodate your organization and its pets, stores may have a limited capacity, face coverings may be required while in store, or temperature checks on your volunteers and staff may be required. It is your responsibility to ensure that you and your staff and volunteers comply with the orders from your state and local government. Any violation of any PetSmart Charities Policies and Procedures may be grounds for suspension or termination as an adoption partner.
Additionally, all 7-Day Cat Center adoption partners are now required to send staff and/or volunteers to care for the cats in the center, as outlined in the PetSmart Charities Adoption Partner Manual, no less than three times a week. If you are unable to meet this requirement, you will be asked to remove the pets as soon as possible.
We recognize that the unpredictability of the pandemic has generated its own set of challenges for the animal welfare community and for pet adoptions. Your safety, and the safety of associates, pet parents, and pets will always be our top priority. We remain committed to sharing updates about the adoption program and future National Adoption Weekends as they become available.
We are proud of the work you are doing, and we are grateful for your partnership. Thank you for loving pets as much as we do.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to your PetSmart Charities Associate Relationship Manager.