A Message for our Adoption Partners:
As we continue to monitor the circumstances surrounding the coronavirus, we have made the difficult but necessary decision to temporarily suspend all in-store adoption events until further notice. This decision includes all events in our U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico stores. This does not impact Adoption Partners in our Everyday Adoption Centers and 7-Day Cat Center. Pets in these Centers may remain in store, and your organization must continue to provide care for them as outlined in the Everyday Adoption Centers Manual and Adoption Partner Manual.
We recognize the impact this may have on your organization, and we want you to know that we still appreciate your partnership. Your work is extremely important, and we are confident that we will get through this difficult time together.
As we continue to monitor this rapidly changing situation, we may make additional changes to the adoption program if necessary. We remain committed to keeping you informed, and to providing timely updates about the adoption program. To help address some of the questions you may have, please review the FAQs below. If you need additional guidance, please contact your PetSmart Charities Associate Relationship Manager.
Thank you for your continued support and resilience.
The PetSmart Charities Team
- Are adoptions still taking place at PetSmart?
- Currently, yes. Pet adoptions are taking place in the Everyday Adoption Centers and 7-Day Cat Center only.
- All future in-store adoption events have been cancelled until further notice.
- Is PetSmart Charities canceling June National Adoption Weekend?
- We are currently evaluating the timing of June National Adoption Weekend.
- Together with PetSmart, we are closely following guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO), and other local and national health organizations which will help us determine whether to cancel June National Adoption Weekend.
- If there is a change to the June National Adoption Weekend schedule, your PetSmart Charities Associate Relationship Manager will notify you.
- My organization currently has pets in the Everyday Adoption Centers and/or 7-Day Cat Center, will PetSmart continue to provide food and supplies?
- Yes. Through our Everyday Adoption Centers and 7-Day Cat Centers, PetSmart will continue to provide the pets with the essentials they need.
- I would like to keep my animals in the Everyday Adoption Centers and/or 7-Day Cat Center, but I do not want to return to the store. Will PetSmart associates take care of my animals while I am gone?
- Unfortunately, no. You are responsible for your animals. However, we understand the growing concern surrounding coronavirus across our communities, and we respect your decision to leave the store.
- If you are concerned and choose not to return to the store, please remove your animals temporarily until normal operations can be resumed. Additionally, please notify your store leader and your associate relationship manager immediately.
- Will this impact the partnership we have with PetSmart Charities?
- Not at this time. We recognize the impact this may have on your organization, and we want you to know that we appreciate your partnership during this difficult time and afterwards.
- Additionally, if you chose or have chosen to temporarily leave the Everyday Adoption Centers or 7-Day Cat Center and suspend adoptions, we will not replace your organization with another adoption group without first offering you the chance to reenter the space.
- I fear that my shelter will become overcrowded, what can PetSmart Charities do to help alleviate this burden?
- We are committed to looking for ways to improve the visibility of your pets through alternative adoption event opportunities.
- How long will this suspension last?
- While there’s no possible way to predict how different aspects of this situation will evolve, we’re committed to doing our best to provide you with important updates.
- We look forward to resuming in-store adoption events as soon as it is safe to do so.
- Does the current situation impact PetSmart Charities grant funding?
- Not at this time. We currently do not have any plans to change the grant calendar or funding schedule.
- To find out when our grants open and close, please reference the PetSmart Charities Grant Calendar.
- Can pets spread coronavirus?
- To date, there is no evidence that companion animals or pets can spread COVID-19 (per CDC guidance). For the latest information about coronavirus and pets, we encourage you to visit the links below: