Purpose of category:
This grant supports programs that keep people and pets together through times of crisis. Programs that incorporate elements of animal and human services, with the aim of reducing pet-related barriers to accessing social interventions may be considered eligible.
Examples of interventions these grants may fund include:
- Programs that support people experiencing domestic abuse and their pets
- Programs providing shelter and support for pets of people temporarily hospitalized or in hospice care
- Programs supporting people and their pets experiencing housing crisis and/or housing transition
Most successful grant applications include elements of the following:
- Programs that can lead to the long-term integration of pets in case management
- One Health focus that views the pet as a facilitator for better human outcomes
- Formalized collaborations between human social services, governmental entities and/or animal welfare organizations
- Program design that actively engages the population being served
- Demonstration, through data and reports, of positive case outcomes for people and their pets
- Support of the wider community where the program is situated
- Funding from multiple sources that can support longer-term program sustainability
Grant Category FAQs
What are we unable to fund?
We are unable to support Angel Funds or Requests solely for veterinary care provision outside of a social support program for the above-named populations
The first step in applying for the Preserving Families grant is to complete a Letter of Intent (LOI) application available March 17– April 6 through our online grant portal. LOI submissions outside of the grant portal will not be considered.
All LOIs have been reviewed and those determined to have the best strategic focus and goal of the Preserving Families program have been notified. The LOI applicants that have been invited by PetSmart Charities to complete a full application in our grant portal can do so between April 7, 12:00am EST – May 5, 11:59pm MST/PDT.
This grant category is currently closed for further LOI consideration and external applications.
If you have any questions or experience difficulties in the submission process,
please contact us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org