Purpose of Emergency Relief category:
We're here to help in the event of large-scale natural disasters in the United States and Canada. In case of an emergency, funds are available to support authorized designated responders providing relief during large-scale natural disasters. Funds are aimed toward support of rescue, relief, response, and recovery efforts of owned pets.
Grants can support:
- Sheltering supplies/infrastructure, reunification efforts, necessary medical, staffing, meals, and lodging for volunteers/staff working with owned pets in impacted areas.
- Purchases for necessary immediate sheltering needs for up to 30 days (gas/lodging, kennels, crates, carriers, food, waste management, bowls, leads/leashes)
- Medical expenses to provide required and/or necessary vaccinations and immediate medical care for impacted pets.
Eligible organizations include:
- Animal welfare and human services organizations designated as authorized disaster responders by the emergency Agency Having Jurisdiction* providing support for evacuated pets and their people
- Directly impacted nonprofit and municipal pet shelters and nonprofit veterinary clinics
*The organization designated as a responder by the Office of Emergency Management at the city, county, state, or federal level
Request not eligible for consideration:
- Pet transport, whether prior to or after the disaster
- Emergency preparedness efforts or requests for infrastructure or vehicles
- Hoarding or animal cruelty seizures
- Incidents affecting personally owned property
- Self-deploying organizations (organizations not requested by the Agency Having Jurisdiction over the disaster response efforts)
- Organizations depopulating or pulling pets from shelters prior to disasters
- Individual pet parent requests to support food or medical care for individual pets
- Requests to support equine, livestock or wildlife